The 595-acre Lyman Run State Park is in scenic Potter County. Maples and cherries dominate a mixed northern hardwood forest that surrounds the 45-acre Lyman Run Lake, making a most scenic setting.
The shaded picnic area has picnic tables, charcoal grills, hot charcoal disposals, modern restrooms, drinking water and a play area. One picnic pavilion may be reserved up to 11 months in advance for a fee. When unreserved, the picnic pavilion is free on a first-come, first-served basis.
The 300-foot sand beach is open from late-May to mid-September, 8 a.m. to sunset. Swim at your own risk. Please read and follow posted rules for swimming. A modern bathhouse with flush toilets, changing rooms, snack bar and boat rental is the centerpiece of the beach area.
Boating facilities on the 45-acre Lyman Run Lake include a launching ramp and a courtesy dock. The mooring area holds 60 boats. A permit, available at the park office, is needed for the mooring area.
Motorboats must display a current boat registration. Non-powered boats must display one of the following: boat registration; launching permit or mooring permit from Pennsylvania State Parks, available at most state park offices; launching permit from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.
The 45-acre Lyman Run Lake is noted for its exceptional water quality and provides excellent trout fishing. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission stocks the lake with rainbow and palomino trout throughout the fishing season.
Lyman Run from Lyman Run Lake to West Branch Road is approved trout water and stocked each spring. The upper Lyman Run basin is a wild brook trout enhancement area. From the inflow to Lyman Run Lake upstream, 5.3-miles of Lyman Run and all its tributaries are excellent for wild brook trout fishing. Anglers should consult the Summary of Fishing Regulations and Laws for current restrictions and creel limits.
The hiking trails link to many miles of trails in Susquehannock State Forest. Unless noted below, all trails are marked with rectangular yellow blazes. There are trailhead and intersection signposts.
The bumps on this trail are the remains of old railroad ties from the Goodyear Brothers logging railroad that hauled tan bark and hemlock logs during the lumbering era. Spur Line Trail ascends slowly from Lower Campground up to Rock Run Road. To the right along Rock Run Road is Lyman Run Vista. Hikers can complete a loop by continuing on the road then turning right onto Rock Run Trail.
Along this aptly named trail are very large boulders. Rock Run Trail descends rapidly from Rock Run Road to intersect Spur Line Trail near Lower Campground.
The massive, old stumps along this trail show signs of ancient wildfires. Beehive Trail was built by the CCC in the 1930s and connects Dagget Run Campground and Rock Run Road. Wildcat Trail intersects Beehive Trail making a loop.
Along this trail is a small upland bog that has northern cotton grass and several majestic old growth hemlock trees. Wildcat Connector connects Wildcat Trail with Rock Run and Spur Line trails.
Hike from one end of the park to the other following Lyman Run through many habitats and on a railroad trace. Lyman Run Trail can be accessed in Lower Campground, at the spillway, or where it intersects the Susquehannock Trail System. Until a bridge is installed hikers must make a wet crossing of the creek between Lower Campground and the Spillway.
This 85-mile trail loop traverses some of the most rugged, mountainous terrain in northcentral Pennsylvania. This trail system also passes through Denton Hill, Patterson and Ole Bull state parks.
Lyman Run State Park is an access point for 43 miles of ATV trail in Susquehannock State Forest. Restrooms and the food concession at Lyman Beach are within walking distance of the specially located “ATV-only” parking lot. ATV trailer parking is limited to five trailers. Additional parking is available at the Bureau of Forestry (Denton Hill) trailhead.
Daggett Run and Lower campgrounds offer separate camping areas with a total of 35 RV and tent campsites. Each campsite contains a picnic table, fire ring and lantern hanger. Twenty-nine campsites have electricity. Six campsites are walk-ins. The campgrounds have modern washhouses with hot water, flush toilets and showers. The campgrounds are open from the second weekend in April to the end of deer season in December. A sanitary dump station is in Lower Campground. Pets are permitted on designated sites in both campgrounds.
The campground host site has 50-amp electric service. Host is required to assist park personnel for 40 hours per week with a two-week minimum stay. Contact the park office for additional information and availability.
Explore the Winter Report for the current snow and ice depths.
A 43-mile loop trail in Susquehannock State Forest passes through Lyman Run State Park.
Lyman Run Lake provides ice fishing for rainbow and palomino trout during the winter months. Ice thickness is not monitored. For your safety, be sure the ice is at least four inches thick and carry safety equipment.
Lyman Run Lake provides ice skating at the swimming area. Ice thickness is not monitored. For your safety, be sure the ice is at least four inches thick and carry safety equipment.
April through October an environmental interpretor presents resource-oriented programs and interpretive walks like guided hikes and kayak programs. Schools, organizations and clubs may request programs on a variety of topics including watersheds and stream ecology. Additional information is available at the park office.
Depending on the season, visitors can see woodland wildlife like bobcat, coyote, white-tailed deer, black bear and wild turkey. In the spring, Lyman Lake is visited by migrating waterfowl like common loon and common merganser. A good pair of binoculars is often enough to see nesting pied-billed grebes, wood ducks and red-breasted mergansers.
Lyman Run State Park was named for Major Isaac Lyman, an American Revolutionary War soldier believed to be the second permanent settler in Potter County. In 1809, Lyman built his home in nearby Lymansville (now Ladonna), east of present day Coudersport.
In the 1880s, large stands of white pine were harvested and floated down Lyman Run to Pine Creek and on to Williamsport. In the 1890s, the Goodyear Brothers purchased most of the land drained by the West Branch of Pine Creek.
In 1905, Frank and Charles Goodyear constructed a large camp and engine terminal in the area that now is the park day use area. From this base, steam locomotives pulled log trains through the ten miles of main line and 30 miles of spur lines. Many of the spur lines were steep, with grades of up to ten percent.
Each day, up to 100 train cars of logs were hauled out of Lyman Run to the sawmill in Galeton. At night, trains hauled hemlock bark to leather tanneries in Galeton, Westfield and Elkland.
The land changed hands several times until it was purchased by the R. J. Gaffney Company, who cut the remaining hardwoods for a wood chemical plant on the West Branch Pine Creek. Logging ceased in 1913.
For forest fire and watershed protection, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania purchased the land in and around Lyman Run in the 1920s.
In the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps built Camp S-88 in the area that currently is the park maintenance area. The young men of the camp completed forestry improvements and road construction projects. Toward the end of World War II, the camp housed German prisoners-of-war. After the war, the camp seasonally housed migrant workers who harvested the local potato crop.
Construction of Lyman Run Dam began in 1951. Lyman Run State Park opened to the public in 1955. The dam was replaced in 2009.
454 Lyman Run Road, Galeton, PA 16922-9301