Copper Breaks State Park consists of 1898.8 acres, 12 miles south of Quanah or 9 miles north of Crowell, in Hardeman County. The park was acquired by purchase from a private owner in 1970 under the State Parks Bond Program and was opened in 1974.
Prior to the arrival of early settlers, this region was the realm of the Comanche and Kiowa tribes. It remained so until the pressures of a new civilization forced the Indian onto reservations in nearby Oklahoma. Near the present park area, Cynthia Ann Parker was recaptured from a band of Comanche Indians and subsequently reunited with her relatives. Cynthia Ann had been captured as a small child by a raiding party near Mexia and grew up among the Indians. Her son, Quanah Parker, was to become the last great war chief of the Comanche nation. After being reunited with her relatives, Cynthia Ann Parker did not adjust well to the ways of the settlers and longed for the free life style of the Comanche. She died in a relatively-short period. Medicine Mounds, located 10 miles east of the park on private lands, were important ceremonial sites of Comanche Indians. The famous Pease River Battle Site, in which Cynthia Ann Parker was recovered from Comanches in 1860, is located 3 miles east of the park
Activities include camping, picnicking, boating, fishing, mountain biking, swimming, wildlife viewing, backpacking, kite flying, summer educational/interpretive programs, horseback riding (horse rental not available), astronomy, and natural and historical exhibits. A portion of the official Texas longhorn herd is maintained at the park.
Campsites and Other Facilities
Facilities include restrooms with and without showers; campsites with water; campsites with water and electricity; equestrian campsites with water; a primitive camping area; a group camp area with campsites with water; a group picnic pavilion with adjacent group picnic area; a meeting room (use times negotiable; 35 person capacity); picnic sites; a swimming beach; a boat ramp; a boat dock; a fishing pier; a trailer dump station; playgrounds; an interpretive center; and 2 lakes (60 acres and 10 acres). The park has 10 miles of trails: 9.5 miles for back packing, 9.5 miles for mountain biking and equestrian, .5 mile nature trail, and all 10 miles may be used for day hiking.The equestrian camping area has campsites and two, 5-foot tying rails. Equestrian enthusiasts can enjoy a 9.5-mile, round-trip trail over varying terrain. There is a large parking area and water available for horses. Water and restrooms are nearby. Nature and historical books, sodas and ice, firewood, limited fishing supplies, and souvenirs are available at the Texas State Park Store. Horseshoes, basketball, and volleyball equipment may be rented at park headquarters during office hours. Honor boxes, located at park headquarters and each restroom, collect entrance and camping fees after hours.
Nearby attractions include the Hardeman County Historical Museum in Quanah and the Firehall Museum in Crowell, which maintain displays and exhibits of artifacts and other historical items of early Texas. On State Highway 6, between Quanah and the park, one can observe prominent hills to the east that make up Medicine Mound, a ceremonial and religious site of the Comanche. The mounds are located on private property, and trespassing is prohibited. Completed in 1967, Greenbelt Reservoir is a 1900-acre impoundment located five miles north of Clarendon on State Highway 70. Travelers leaving Copper Breaks are only a few hours' drive from three other state parks - Caprock Canyons State Park, Palo Duro Canyon State Park and Lake Arrowhead State Park.
The park features rugged, scenic beauty with mixed grass/mesquite-covered mesas and juniper breaks. North Texas wildlife abounds at Copper Breaks State Park. Roadrunners, great blue herons, many species of ducks, meadow larks, quail, doves, cardinals, owls, flickers, bluebirds, kites, hawks, and mockingbirds are just a few of the many species of birds found in the park. Most species of mammals in the park are best viewed during the early morning and late evening hours. Most common are mule deer, rabbits, raccoons, armadillos, opossums, bobcats, porcupines, and coyotes. Numerous frogs, turtles, and lizards can be seen and an occasional horned toad. Lake Copper Breaks is stocked with rainbow trout each winter. Wildlife and bird checklists are available at the park headquarters.
January minimum temperature 24 degrees, July maximum 97 degrees.
The park is located between Quanah and Crowell off of State Highway 6.
777 Park Road 62, Quanah, Tx 79252-7679More Info