This 367-acre marine camping park features 3,960 feet of saltwater shoreline on Port Townsend Bay. The heavily wooded park has a rich military history dating from pioneer days.
The park occupies more than a third of the original Fort Townsend built in 1856 by the U.S. Army for the protection of settlers. Timbers were hewn and laths cut from local forests. The fort was closed between 1859 and 1874, declared "unfit" after an inspection by an army headquarters commander from Columbia. Reopened in 1874, the fort thrived until 1895 when fire destroyed the barracks. The property was used as an enemy-munitions defusing station during World War II. State Parks took custody of the premises in 1953.
The park offers nature and history interpretive events. The 6.5 miles of hiking trails wonder through a natural forest area.
A self-guided nature trail and a second trail highlighting historical information are available in the park. A park ranger conducts interpretive walks by request. The park supports an active Junior Ranger interpretive program.
1370 Old Fort Townsend Road, Port Townsend, WA 98368-9777
Located on the Olympic Peninsula, four miles south of Port Townsend, Wash. in Jefferson County.
From SR 20:
Approximately two miles south of Port Townsend, turn east on Old Fort Townsend Rd. drive one-half mile to reach the parkMore Info